Sunday, November 4, 2012

Dress Like You Mean It

"Wait...I thought you were a Republican?"

A couple months ago, I was at a party when stranger tapped me on the shoulder and asked me this.  I don't think we were talking politics, and it's not like I was cuddling with an endangered species or doing something else that would identify me as a left-winger. The questions came unprompted - only in DC, I guess.  I responded, "Well, I'm a conservative...why?"

"You're drinking out of a blue Solo cup!"  Apparently this was the Wrong Thing To Do.  I should have had a red cup.  And as much as I respect the spirit of "red solo cup, I fill you up, and then I make questionable life choices" - that's how the song goes, right? - I usually just grab whatever plastic cup is nearest, fill it half with water, and figured that nobody had really ever noticed or cared.

But that night I learned that holding a blue cup - something I didn't even think about - sent a message to everyone in the room.  This was my introduction to the world of political accessories.

This is the first time I've been in DC to experience a presidential election.  I don't really know what the dress code is (though, assuming we get a day off from classes, the dress code will be day-off sweatpants meets day-drinking Ke$ha meets varying shades of political garb.)

But - let's not miss a good opportunity to dress up, shall we?

For my Right Wingers:


I want the sequined dress.  Don't care if it's forty degrees outside.  Don't care if the zigzag stripes are vaguely reminiscent of Charlie Brown.  Just SO many sparkles.

And for the Left Wingers:

I will always be a fan of navy eyeliner since it makes me look awake and alive when I feel like neither of those things.  And don't get me started on the polka dots and the anchor and the stripes...because Democrats can still be preppy!

Cheers to a new election season (and hope the economy improves so we can actually shop for this stuff...but actually...)



No comments:

Post a Comment