Monday, October 29, 2012

Just in Case

Right now - in New Zealand - they're testing a vaccine that might be able to cure 80% of cases of celiac disease.  The shot is in the early testing phase.  Even if it works, it'll be a while until it gets to people like me.  And when it does, there's still a one in five chance it won't work.

Also, a one in five chance that New Zealand is populated entirely by sheep wearing sweaters.
BUT.

I'm still very hopeful.  And though I was more than willing to trade in all those delicious carbs to get my health back - dagnabbit I want an Oreo!

Just think about those New Zealanders, riding their sheep and paying with Hobbit money, maybe paving the way toward a fix for celiac!  This is some really great progress.

Actual NZ currency.
Every celiac knows the importance of planning.  I learned the hard way just how awful it feels to be somewhere you just can't eat.  When I went to the RNC, half of my suitcase was KIND bars and fruit.  This is not an exaggeration.  But still, by Thursday of that week, I was so hungry (and couldn't feel my hands!) I googlemapped the nearest CVS and found...cheddar popcorn.  That was literally the best non-bread item in the greater Tampa region.  

Anyway, planning ahead is a really big part of living with celiac.  So.  It's time to have a contingency plan if the vaccine works, you know...just in case.

1.  SHOTS on SHOTS on SHOTS.  First, gotta go get that vaccine.  Then celebrate.  Probably with shots, because, puns, you guys.  I would say that I'm going to go drink beer, but I'm not, because if I wanted extra calories that smell funky I would just go to Leo's.

2.  Then, eat.  Special K with Strawberries, for breakfast.  A salad with croutons in it.  Chick-fil-a waffle fries.  

3.  Bake.  I really miss baking.  It's very possible gluten-free, but it takes much more effort and the results can be iffy.  You can't just grab a box off a shelf and whip something up unless you want to pay seven dollars for a mix that yields about as many teaspoons of batter.  Without wheat, it's hard to satisfy my love for red velvet everything.  So.  This:


No comments:

Post a Comment